last.fm tracks inserted into playlist

Leo Franchi lfranchi at kde.org
Wed Jan 21 21:59:38 UTC 2009

On 21 Jan 2009, at 16:56, Jud Craft wrote:

> You make it seem that it is not how Banshee retrieves the information,
> or even how it uses the stream, but how Banshee _displays_ the
> information, that is at fault.
>
> Does Banshee's presentation of the stream description info itself
> really break license?  Does Last.FM dictate that "You must only be
> able to see one track title from the stream data at a time!"?  Or have
> I misunderstood?
>
> After all, it doesn't aid you with ripping or circumventing the
> subscription service -- it just...makes the streams look in-place in a
> track playlist.  I had thought it a nice feature.

I don't know if it is explicit. However, I have talked to Max (mxcl),
who is the developer of liblastfm and a former amarok dev himself, and
he was significantly unhappy with the way banshee implemented the
last.fm track stuff. sure, as everything is open source, nothing is
technically stopping us. I mean, we could even rip the official
last.fm API key from the open-source player.

but that would not be very smart. we should be appreciative of last.fm
for keeping their player and library open source and try to work with,
not against, them.

leo

---
Leo Franchi				(650) 704 3680