recognizing changes in files

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Thu Jan 1 13:50:25 UTC 2009

Am Donnerstag, 1. Januar 2009 schrieb Mark Kretschmann:
> On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 2:16 PM, Martin (KDE) <kde at fahrendorf.de>
wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, 1. Januar 2009 schrieb Mark Kretschmann:
> >> On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 11:48 AM, Martin (KDE)
> >> <kde at fahrendorf.de>

> >> Amarok detects collection changes by detecting changed directory
> >> "mtime" values. To get a certain directory rescanned (if it
> >> doesn't happen automatically), just "touch" (Unix command) the
> >> parent directory, and then click "Update Collection".
> >
> > AFAIK mtime (modify time) of a directory is only changed if a
> > file is added or removed. If file content changed none of the
> > parent directory's times are changed (At least on my system).
> > Only file times are changed.
>
> Yes, our system isn't perfect, but "good enough" for most common
> cases. We haven't changed the system from Amarok 1; it's basically
> still working the same way in Amarok 2, because it worked out
> pretty well for most users.
>
> Ideally we would track the mtime of each file in the collection,
> but this would simply have too much impact on performance.

It is not a major problem. I simply was not aware of this. With amarok
1.4 I have done every tag changing within amarok. Due to the
performance problem stated by Johannes Schwall two days ago, I am
forced to use a alternative way. I have to touch the directory
afterwards.

Maybe there is a way to check the mtime of all files by user
interaction additionally of reading all files again.

So
- automatically check directory changes
- on user request check file changes
- on user request reread whole collection

Martin