GSOC Analyzer Support

Ricard Marxer Piñón email at ricardmarxer.com
Wed Feb 25 20:19:12 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm Ricard Marxer and I'm planning to apply for the GSOC Analyzer Support
Idea presented by Ian Moore:

http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Summer_of_Code/2009/Ideas#Project:_Analyzer_Support

Ideas extending GSOC Analyzer Support proposal

Data:
I have seen that Phonon offers an experimental
AudioDataOutput<http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/kdesupport/phonon/phonon/experimental/audiodataoutput.h?revision=819898&view=markup>class
made for the purpose of visualization and analysis.  This is the
obvious entry point for accessing the audio frames to perform further
processing.

Processing:
As for the library to be used for the mathematical processing of the audio
(FFT, MFCC, Onset Detection, Pitch Estimation...) I would like to use Eigen,
since it makes the code very readable and clear and it is highly optimized.
I would of course use some external libraries for some specific algos such
as FFTW <http://www.fftw.org/>.

Visualization:
Here is where I would like to ask for some help about what would be the best
choice.  I think to start with, the simplest thing would be to first hook
the output of the processing directly to a Graphics View.
If you guys think it is a good idea it might be nice to have the Graphics
View inside a plasma applet (which could then fit in Amarok's context view).

Notes:
Of course the main goal is to have the lowest possible hit in CPU and still
keep beautiful visualization.  Also it should be possible to completely turn
off the audio processing and visualization when in power saving mode.

Anyway, this is just to create some discussion about the directions the idea
could take.  What do you all think?

Personal Introduction