gsoc idea and query

Leo Franchi lfranchi at kde.org
Wed Feb 25 12:34:58 UTC 2009

On 25 Feb 2009, at 12:26, Soren Harward wrote:

> On 2/25/09, amit sethi <amit.pureenergy at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have been working on the idea of an automatic playlist generator .
>
> I've already got a playlist generator, including similarity metrics,
> about 80% done. It's sitting in a non-trunk git branch because it
> needs some UI work and a code review before we put it into the trunk
> (hopefully) some time in the 2.2 series.  So if you'd like to help me
> out with it, I'd gladly accept some assistance.

(cc'ing him, in case he wasn't subscribed)

automatic playlist generation + last.fm suggestions has been one of my
pet wishes for a long time now, so i'm glad to see the pieces finally
falling into place.

however, i'm not sure this is the best SoC idea. implementing just the
the last.fm similarity stuff (e.g. a LastFmConstraint in soren's
code's terms) does not seem to me to be anywhere near enough to keep
one person busy for 3 months.

i guess one possible project would be to design and implement a better
(and more usable) UI for the automatic playlist generator. but then it
seems very very similar to last summer's SoC about dynamic
playlists...and honestly i think we have other possible projects/ideas
that are stronger at this point.

cheers,
leo

---