Unable to migrate embedded db to external mysql.

tris_r trisroger at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 02:08:06 UTC 2009

Bugzilla from sourtooth at gmail.com wrote:

> Perhaps check for Apparmor / SELinux / etc. since MySQL is usually one
> of the things that gets restricted, and it would prevent it from
> opening the port, and definitely stop it from accessing the files.

Thanks for the heads up Ben.  I'm not familiar with apparmor and would never
have got that one.  A quick

sudo /etc/init.d/apparmor stop
sudo /etc/init.d/mysql stop

and I was away..  The only other bits and pieces to report was that the
mysql daemon needed to be stopped and the standard mysql server restarted
before running the final command.

I noticed that there was no mentioning of stopping and starting the mysql
service to run a separate daemon but found that this was trying to use the
same port and wouldn't start.  I think Jeff's suggestion of specifying a
different port would have worked, but I found it easier just to start and
stop the main mysql service.

Also I needed to adjust the final command to point to the right database
'amarokdb' rather than 'amarok' I know that the guide creates 'amarok' but
the default in amarok is 'amarokdb'.

I updated the wiki at
http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/MySQL_Server#Migrating_from_MySQL_Embedded_to_MySQL_Server
http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/MySQL_Server#Migrating_from_MySQL_Embedded_to_MySQL_Server
which I think has a few extra bits on information.  I would be greatly
obliged if someone had a quick look to make sure that it was all ok.

Thanks for the help.
Tris