Unable to migrate embedded db to external mysql.

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Sat Dec 26 16:14:58 UTC 2009

On 12/26/2009 08:44 AM, tris_r wrote:
> When ever I give my.cnf global write access
> sudo chmod 777 my.cnf or
> sudo chmod 772 my.cnf

<snip>

> Any run without global write access
> sudo chmod 770 my.cnf or
> sudo chmod 775 my.cnf
>
> Errors with...
>
> Could not open required defaults file:
> /home/tris/.kde/share/apps/amarok/my.cnf

Is your user account in either the user or group on that file?

FWIW, my my.cnf file has permissions 644 with owner/group set to my home
user/group, which are the permissions it was created with. You could
simply delete that file (it's empty anyways) and let it be recreated
with the permissions it wants, which should work unless you have wonky
home directory permissions (like no access to files in your user/group).

> or when the mysql service was running.
> 091227  0:17:07 [ERROR] Can't start server: Bind on TCP/IP port: Address
> already in use
> 091227  0:17:07 [ERROR] Do you already have another mysqld server running on
> port: 3306 ?

This means that your system mysqld daemon is listening on port 3306 and
so the new instance can't start up with that port. Try the option
--master-port=3307 (or some other value not in use) and then tell your
client to use --port=3307. Or stop your system mysqld daemon while you
do this.

--Jeff