OT question about functionality / reliability of cover management on iPods

Michael Neumeier dennismail at gmx.net
Fri Dec 25 11:34:13 UTC 2009

Hi,

Am 25.12.2009 um 11:42 schrieb Myriam Schweingruber:

> Hi Michael,
>
> You are right. Since Apple does nearly everything they can to prevent
> iPods running with anything else than OS X, don't be so astonished
> about that. That's what you get when you buy closed source proprietary
> devices.

First of all: I _don´t_ want to start a flamewar here about proprietary/open source software, but just let me comment this: I am using three worlds - Windows, Linux & MacOs - and even if I prefer open source software myself, I would not dare that the other 2 worlds (I differ between Win and Mac) are "wrong" in any way. What concerns your opinion that I shouldn´t be astonished: Well, I think it´s exactly the other way round: If I pay for software, I think I have some rights to get working products. If I choose to use open source, it should work, but I do not have to complain if something is not working, but I should rather tell the developers / community that something is perhaps not working the way I think it should.

Also, let me add that I _never_ had problems connection my iPod both to Mac and to Linux. The reason for that may surely be that the first thing I disabled was automatic management of my iPod from iTunes. Another point certainly is that I never made an upgrade from the firmware on my iPod that I didn´t check on internet and mailinglists if there were any known problems after upgrade.

And btw: I know that iPods are quite expensive for the features they have, but to tell you the truth: They are stilish and easy to use. It´s some kind of basic way of thinking of Apple, I suppose: The first time I was using MacOS, I was really surprised how easy a PC could be used. On the other side, certainly, there are the points "closed source" and "what about security in MacOS", but hey, if I want to think about these issues, I have the choice to start my Linux :)

> On a side note, Amarok 1.4.x is not maintained anymore by us, so it's
> highly unlikely that anything will ever change there anyway.

Okay. Thanks for this info.

Still, are there any pointers for me where I can look for some infos or even solutions to my problem?

Regards,
Michael