The Korrect way to share audio collection

Gleb Litvjak blaster999 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 11:04:48 UTC 2009

Hello!

I have been using Amarok for several years now, and am very happy with it.
Some time ago I installed a small Atom-based PC to serve as a NAS and a test
server, and moved all my audio files there. After that I mounted the NFS share
and let Amarok rescan it on all my boxes. However, this aproach is sub-
optimal.

Recently I began to look at other ways to share my collection. My first thought
was DAAP. I installed and configured mt-daapd on my server, and it showed in
Amarok, however it only allowed to play MP3 files (so no OGG and FLAC, which is
a no-go for me) - which is strange, as I have read that it can serve
untranscoded FLACs to the clients that understand them.

My next try was Ampache. I managed to set it up, and it showed in Amarok,
however, I couldn't make the FLACs play at all (MP3 and OGG played fine). Seems
that Ampache tried to encode FLACs to OGGs (which I do not want, as 100mbps is
more than enough for FLAC transfer) and failed. So, another "no" here.

My question is: what is the correct way to share my collection between several
machines running Amarok?