How was the conversion from svn to git done?

Leo Franchi lfranchi at kde.org
Fri Aug 28 15:56:27 UTC 2009

On Friday 28 August 2009 05:49:02 Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Andreas Pakulat at 28/08/09 10:21 did gyre and gimble:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm looking into how to convert a subversion project to git and find tons
> > of differing blogs/howtos on the net. As amarok recently did this move,
> > I'm wondering what steps did you follow? Which tools did you use for
> > conversion?
>
> I dunno how Amarok did it but git-svn is awesome and it's built into git
> itself.

Git-svn is not awesome. Git-svn is a good hack that allows you to use git
while leaving svn as the main SCM.... because you can't do stuff like sharing
branches---which imho is one of the really great things about git. Anyway, his
question was about svn->git.

The actual conversion was done by thiago, with the same script I think he used
when he ported Qt over. Not sure where the script lives, but you should just
ask him.

leo