talk about screwing the pooch!

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Tue Aug 18 23:21:27 UTC 2009

Reuben Kagan wrote:
> Amarok 2.0 was released , and the development of 1.4 was ended. Nobody
> would distribute abandoned versions, as the price for that is high.
> As Amarok 2 was not ready, and 1.4 discontinued,

The fact that 1.4 wasn't being actively developed doesn't mean it wasn't
supported. We had one or two releases for security and other issues
after we "abandoned" it. Software not being actively developed doesn't
stop e.g. Debian from shipping it anyways (Debian 5.0 shipped with
kernel 2.6.26, which by your definition is "abandoned"), so this isn't a
special case here.

Kubuntu jumped the gun because for some reason they felt it imperative
that 2.0 -- which we stated repeatedly and publicly, including on our
home page right up front in our release announcement, was for advanced
users and early adopters -- get into 9.04. They should have heeded our
advice/warning, waited until 9.10 (and Amarok 2.2) to make it the
default, and in the interim just used 1.4 and made 2.0 and 2.1 available
via backports (nothing prevents them from being installed and used
concurrently).

> the only sane move the distributors could do was to remove Amarok
> as an option altogether and substitute it with some other player.

Um, no. There were plenty of sane options. That doesn't make it our
fault that they didn't choose one of them.

> Pity they didn't do it.

Why are you on this list?

--Jeff