talk about screwing the pooch!

Orville Bennett illogical1 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 03:05:12 UTC 2009

Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> Hi William,
>
> On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 23:49, william<whensley at frontiernet.net>  wrote:
>> I spent nearly 9 months finding track info album cover and lyrics for my
>> entire collection with amarok 1.4 with Ubuntu 8.4 and 8.10. upgraded to
>> 9.4 and amarok 2 all gone albums no longer match covers artists no
>> longer match tracks, Ex. Amphetamine Annie is now by Andy Williams on 25
>> modern jazz greats??? Not even close! If this is the best you guys can
>> do I'm going back to windows
>
> Hey, calm down!. If you have the default Jaunty 9.04 then you have a
> very early version of Amarok, namly 2.0.2 which is quite old and
> outdated (remember, Jaunty was released in April this year, the
> feature freeze was a month before that...) You should upgrade to 2.1.1
> which is available through the jaunty-backports repository.
>
> Also Amarok uses a mysql embedded database now, so of cours importing
> another database is not that easy.

> But before upgrading to an new
> version one should read release notes anyway, so don't blame us for
> your lack of information.
For serious? Where would someone find that in synaptic/update-manager?

Or perhaps, users should quickly scribble things down as words fly by at
FTL speeds, and then go to the website for those hundreds of software
pkgs installed during a system upgrade.

I'd think that's not something the end user of a linux distro should
have to, or be expected to do. I mean that's like expecting people to
read EULAs. The reason they even put all that stuff in there about you
relinquishing all rights to your first born and left nut is because they
_know_ no one reads them. But I digress.