Long term Use of Amarok?

Seb Ruiz ruiz at kde.org
Tue Aug 4 11:13:12 UTC 2009

Hi Robert,

2009/8/4 Robert Smits <bob at rsmits.ca>:
> I'm presently using Amarok 1.4 on Open Suse 11.0 with KDE3.
>
> At this point, I'm not ready to switch to KDE4 or to Amarok 2.0.
>
> I'm trying to determine how long I'll be able to keep using Amarok 1.4.
>
> Do I need to swich to Amarok 2 if the base KDE system goes to 4.x?

You do not - it is okay to run Amarok 1.4 on a KDE4 desktop.
Technically, anyway. How easy it is to accomplish this depends on your
distribution. If OpenSuse provides Amarok 1.4 packages which don't
conflict with their other standard packages, then it should be a no
brainer.

However, it's possible that your package management system will not
let you install a 1.4 package due to any number of reasons. If this is
the case, and you cannot find any pre compiled package, then you will
have to resort to downloading and building the Amarok 1.4 packages
manually. This shouldn't be too difficult, but I would recommend
testing in a sandboxed environment just to be sure.

> Will I be able to import my old playlists and mysql database from the 1.4
> versions to 2.x?

You can already import from a 1.4 database, although a few people have
had a couple of troubles. YMMV - although it is possible with some
perseverance to do it if you have trouble.

> I have about 1.2 TB of audio files on my system, and I'm reluctant to change
> to 2.x until it's several versions old, and has most of the features of 1.4
> that are presently missing added. I also don't want to redo all those
> playlists!

As for playlists - if you have saved the playlists as m3u on the file
system it should be picked up automatically. I'm not sure of the
status of playlists stored in Amarok 1.4.

--
Seb Ruiz

http://www.sebruiz.net/
http://amarok.kde.org/