Amarok 2 and iPhone/iPod Touch

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Wed Apr 15 16:20:00 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-14 at 08:24 +1000, Seb Ruiz wrote:

> >> Hoping that the site is up2date:
> >> http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Media_Device:IPod
> >
> > I went there.
> >
> > and no, Amarok 2.0.2 does not see my iPod Touch. It sees a regular
> iPod
> > fine, though.
>
> Unfortunately, none of the Amarok developers own any iPod touch or
> iPhone devices. This means that it's a little hard to know exactly how
> the ipod device handling will work under these situations.
>
> Any assistance we could use in improving support for these ipods would
> be greatly appreciated.

So, in that spirit, I have taken my favourite play machine (ie not
production) with an up-to-date Ubuntu Jaunty, and went ahead by
compiling Amarok from a SVN checkout (8am GMT+1), against libgpod 0.7.0.

I have followed this guide:

http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-compile-amarok-2-from-svn-on-k-x-ubuntu

Here is data: Amarok's output with --debug, mounts info, HAL info and
the script used to mount the iPod Touch.

http://www.youplala.net/~will/amarok_2.1_svn_20090415.log

Here is my take: Amarok looks at HAL for information on mounted volumes,
looking for a media device. Apparently sshfs (fuse ssh mount used to
access the iPod Touch over WiFi) does not declare anything in HAL, so
Amarok does not find the mounted iPod Touch.

If you need anything else, just ask.

Nico