amarok2 cannot find any collection plugin

Joerg Schumann joerg-schumann at gmx.net
Fri Apr 10 19:28:46 UTC 2009

Hi,

I didn't have any luck asking this on #amarok so I try it here:
After building amarok2 from trunk, installing to ${HOME}/kde/bin and then
launching it, it tells me that it cannot find any collection plugin.

The (beginning of the) exact error message is:
> Amarok could not find any collection plugins. it is possible that Amarok is
> installed under the wrong prefix, please fix your installation
> [...]
> cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=`kde4-config --prefix` && su -s "make install"
> [...]

I'm running Debian testing +unstable +experimental with KDE4 and amarok2
packages installed. I'd like to keep a working installation of amarok in place
and have the self-compiled version in a different location.
Therefore I don't want to use the above CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX and overwrite the
packaged amarok installation.

rdieter on #amarok suggested I should check my KDEDIRS environment variable. I
set the value to "/home/joerg/kde:/usr" but that didn't make it work.
I looked in ~/kde/lib/kde4 and there exist 4 libamarok_collection*.so files.

The console output of amarok --debug is:

> amarok(27637) Phonon::KdePlatformPlugin::createBackend: using backend:
> "Xine" amarok:
> *********************************
> amarok:  ** DEBUGGING OUTPUT IS NOW ENABLED. PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU WILL ONLY
SEE THE FULL OUTPUT ON THE NEXT
> START. **
> amarok: END__: static void App::handleCliArgs() - Took 0.00032s
> amarok: END__: virtual int App::newInstance() - Took 0.00043s
> amarok: [PluginManager] Plugin trader constraint:  "[X-KDE-Amarok-framework-
version] == 40 and [X-KDE-Amarok-plugintype] ==
> 'collection' and [X-KDE-Amarok-rank] > 0" amarok: [CollectionManager]
> Second attempt: Received [ "0" ] collection plugin offers

What can I do?

Regards,
Joerg