externalized libraries - rationale for not optional

Caleb Cushing xenoterracide at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 23:58:33 UTC 2009

I'd like to hear the rationale for not making all the recently split
libraries not optional for people. So far what I've been told is that
amarok will compile without them, but functionality will appear
broken. I'd love to see these things be purely optional modules,
although not recommended disabled at the distro level (with maybe the
exception of damn small or something ;) ) but for distro's like
gentoo, being able to strip them out using use flags, or people just
building from source, it'd be great (without having broken bits of
UI).

I'm just curious why amarok devs seem so against this.

--
Caleb Cushing

http://xenoterracide.blogspot.com