Build problems due to embedded mysql server

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Sep 25 13:24:02 UTC 2008

On 25.09.08 08:24:26, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > amarok is failing to build here, beccause the mysqld.a library is
> > useless (missing symbols for ssl-stuff). The problem is known in the
> > distribution and at mysql as well. According to:
> >
> > http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=21489
> >
> > using the embedded mysql server is not supported in MySQL 5.0.x.
>
> But it is.  People are using it.

Uhm, there's a different between "people" or distro's using something and
the thing being officially supported by whoever releases the thing. Mysql
clearly states that the embedded server in MySql 5.0 is not supported. So
even if it does work, a warning might be a good idea.

>  From the bug report, it looks like it's a distro-specific issue.

I'm not sure its distro specific, but I'm not going to build mysql myself
to check that out. Linking against mysqld.a and libmysqlclient.so fixes the
problem for me. That is it makes the symbols available that mysqld.a needs
(those ssl-things).

BTW: Linking static libraries into shared libraries is AFAIK not supported
on all platforms that KDE supports - I'm not sure though which ones are
problematic but I think Thiago or Dirk would know.

Andreas

--
Advancement in position.