[Feedback] "Genius Playlists" Feature

Soren Harward stharward at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 11:07:39 UTC 2008

On Monday 15 September 2008 22:47:19 sccrules94 at gmail.com wrote:
> I have recently been to Apple's iTunes's website, and I read about a new
> feature in iTunes 8 that could be nicely implemented in Amarok. It is
> called "Genius Playlists".
> Is there any feature similar to this in the current Amarok version? If not,
> please consider adding something similar.

From what I can tell from web articles and my own experimentation, iTunes 8
reimplements Last.fm's system of tracking users' listening habits, and
the "Genius Playlist" is analogous to Amarok's "Similar Artists" feature.
Except that it appears that the "Genius Playlist" cannot cope with artists
that are not in the ITMS, whereas Amarok will handle any artist that's in
Last.fm's vastly more comprehensive database.

The first version of Amarok 2 will not have the "Similar Artists" feature, but
it will definitely show up in a future version.  I am also working on a more
advanced acoustic similarity feature for Amarok, which analyzes the audio
content of the file and can be used to create playlists of songs that do
actually sound alike.

--
Soren Harward
stharward at gmail.com