What is the number (UFID?) on each music cd?

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Fri Oct 24 04:01:12 UTC 2008

Larry Alkoff wrote:
> I found your very interesting article on Amarok File Tracking in the
> Amarok Blog yesterday and hope to be able to read tags without fear of
> changing them soon.  Unfortunately AFT doesn't seem to be a part of my
> Amarok 2.1.4.9.1-0Ubuntu3 for KDE 3.5.9.  Perhaps in the next Ubuntu
> "Intreped Ibex" due out November.

I think you mean Amarok 1.4.9.1?  Amarok 2 isn't for KDE 3...

Amarok 1 *does* have read-only AFT integrated into it.  I don't think
you need to be in fear of changing them when using the tag-enhanced mode
in Amarok 2, either  :-P

> Could you suggest a place I could place the "manufacturer-specific part
> numbers" in some unused tag location?  It certainly seems to identify
> the cd uniquely and I'd like to be able to make a printout containing
> Artist - Album - mspn to help me in purchasing.

Perhaps in a comment frame?  Try checking the ID3 frames spec at
http://id3.org/id3v2.4.0-frames and see what you might like to use.
While Amarok won't give access to all of these frames, you may want to
try eyeD3, which is excellent.

Take care,
Jeff