Feedback / Suggestions

Simon ESNEAULT simon.esneault at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 16:19:06 UTC 2008

Hi all,

Following the development of amarok since quite a long time now, i would
like to thanks all of you for your great work!
So far amarok 2 beta 2 is looking very good and really is daily usable now !

Anyway here are some feedback and/or suggestions :

- The new context view rocks, and with the on-going plasma development, the
potential is really huge ! I hope it will become somewhat similar with the
"mashTapes" plugin of songbird (plus plasma bling bling of course :))
gathering all sort of media information in a fancy way. Right now the video
applet crash everything when i want to use it. Adding the possibility to
watch a live on youtube from the same artist directly in the context view
will be awesome, Totem youtube plugin is a good exemple

- The wikipedia applet background in white doesn't look very integrated,
shouldn't it be in grey ? Same for the links color.

- We should be able to queue some track in the playlist directly from the
album applet. Because when you listen to some random track, and then after
listening to one you want the whole album in your ear, it's annoying to
parse the collection... (or maybe i didn't find the correct option/way to do
this)

- I can't load a m3u playlist using "add a media" menu, is this normal ?

- The collection scanner and parsing is much faster with mysqle, good choice
for me (190 Go database) and handling the same library is much faster than
the 1.4.X series (loading, song switching, everything)

- A full neponumuk integration will be a good point, shared rating and
comment, with a krunner interface

- The internet service part is just perfect.
- I miss the queue manager, and some small fonctionnality but it may be only
a matter of time.

That's pretty much all, everything else is very pleasant, innovative, smooth
and well integrated, special mention for the biased playlist and the magic
drag'n drop, hope we will see much more of this kind of interaction in the
future.

Where can we find some exemple of scripting for amarok 2.0, and will it be
possible to interact with the new context view with some script ?

Tthanks for raising the level of opensource application, keep going.

Simon

PS sorry for the frenglish and for this non structured mail.

Simon Esneault
Laboratoire Traitement du Signal et de l'Image, (LTSI, UMR-INSERM 642)
Université de Rennes I, Campus de Beaulieu,
35042 Rennes Cedex, France.
Tel : +33 (0)6 64 61 30 94
Mail : simon.esneault at univ-rennes1.fr