Phonon mp3 problems

E. Berkenpies fedora at berkenpies.nl
Thu Oct 2 08:33:25 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 11:41:51 +1000,  wrote:
> 2008/10/2 Dr. Diesel <dr.diesel at gmail.com>:
>> Current SVN of 2.0, when attempting to load any mp3 I receive this
> error:

> may
>> want to examine the installation of the backend that phonon
> uses.</p><p>You
>> Handbook</i>.</p>
>>
>> This is on a fresh Fedora install.  The suggested Amarok handbook was
> last
>> updated over 2 years ago, didn't find any reference to this error!
>>
>> I have no other mp3 xine packages installed (found a reference in Ubuntu
>> phonon-xine), but can't find any documentation saying I even need them!
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> I highly doubt that fedora would come with mp3 support out of the box.
>
> Please see http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/MP3_on_Fedora_Core

Having a proper Phonon back-end will definitely fix this issue. Make sure
you got MP3 support like Seb already suggested above
(gstreamer-plugins-ugly and perhaps gstreamer-plugins-bad to extend the
range of supported formats - check
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/ for more info). Also make
sure you've installed the right packages for the Phonon back-end too:

phonon.i386                              4.2.0-5.fc9            installed
phonon-backend-gstreamer.i386            4.2.0-5.fc9            installed

Phonon can be extended with more back-ends. For example you could add Xine
as a back-end too (phonon-backend-xine.i386). Then again you'd obviously
need the proper plugins again which are also  in the Livna repository
(xine-lib-extras-nonfree I think).

Hope this helps you a bit.

Eelko Berkenpies
http://www.berkenpies.nl