Amarok development - Getting started

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen nhnfreespirit at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 14:58:42 UTC 2008

Hi Ben

We would love to have you help out with Amarok. We relly need all the
help we can get as there are to many great ideas and too few people to
implement them all. With Amarok 2, we really have a framework in place
where many people can work on different things without getting in each
others way too much.

Now, that said, I think you have chosen one of the hardest possible
tasks to get started on. :-) Allowing grouping of Album Artist
requires changes to the very core of Amarok, the collection framework,
and likely, as a result, to everything that builds on top of it,
including the local, sql, driven collection. The collection framework
is quite well designed, but i is also very complex. I personally got
that sinking feeling in my stomach the first time I tried to wrap my
head around it. If your really want to jump right in, I no one is
going to stop you, but I do fear that you might "break your neck" on
this task and loose motivation. You are also going to tinker with the
part of Amarok that can lead to the worst and most subtle bugs if not
done just right!  Personally, I think I would start on some smaller
tasks, and then build your knowledge of the different parts of Amarok
until you are ready to go for the big one! :-)

Anyway, just my 2 cents! :-)

- Nikolaj