Feedback on Various Artists

Tristan Halvorson thalvors at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 23:11:06 UTC 2008

First off, thanks everyone for the hard work you've been putting into
Amarok 2.  I've been following the mailing list and playing around with
neon for a while now, and I must say I'm impressed.

I do have one issue that's been around in neon for several months now.
The "Show Under Various Artists" option has never worked correctly on
Amarok 2 for me.  I have a lot of music from ocremix, so this results in
a lot of artists with just one song under their name.  I'm not sure if
it is important, but it is typical for songs on ocremix to have the
composer of the original version in the "Composer" tag, and the username
of the person who remixed it in the "Artist" tag.  The "Album" tag
contains "http://www.ocremix.org".  For reference, I have included a
screenshot from Amarok 1.4, which includes the behavior I want; all of
my music from ocremix under one album [1].
Currently in Amarok 2.0, there is a separate http://www.ocremix.org
album for every artist [2] [3].  In [3], notice that right clicking a
group to make them all be listed under "various artists" does not work;
is this a feature that is planned to be implemented later?  It would be
very useful; as it is, I need to right click on all of these albums
individually and do "Show under Various Artists".
When I do this, the grouping follows strange behavior.  If I right click
on the first four of these individually and do "Show under Various
Artists", I get all four songs showing up in each of the first four
albums [4].  This pattern continues if I continue telling it to show
more of the albums under various artists.
When I switch back to "Group By Artist", it still shows all of the songs
under their own individual artists [5].  There is no "Various Artists"
selection on the collection.

Besides this, Amarok 2 works great for me.  It seems like this could
potentially be one of those features that just hasn't been fully
implemented yet, but it's been like this for months now, so I thought
I'd give you the heads up.  This behavior is currently the biggest thing
keeping me from switching from 1.4 to 2.0 permanently.

Thanks again for all the work that's gone into Amarok 2!

Tristan

[1] https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/thalvorson/web/amarok-1.4-ocremix.png
[2] https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/thalvorson/web/amarok-2.0-ocremix.png
[3] https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/thalvorson/web/amarok-2.0-rightclick.png