[Feedback] older version

Walter Little walterplittle at gmail.com
Thu May 29 17:06:17 UTC 2008

If your situation is like mine and it is not feasible to do a major upgrade
on this particular box, I would recommend upgrading to suse 9.3. It is a
relatively minor upgrade and didn't screw anything up for me (although I
upgraded to 9.1 when it came out, then 9.2, then 9.3 as they came out). I
still run 9.3 on my work box. I did however, have major issues upgrading
from 9.x to 10.x (10.x changed the way that SuSE handled many drivers,
IIRC), and based on that experience would recommend reinstalling to
accomplish that upgrade.

While I know it is unsupported, that is the situation I'm stuck in.

I don't remember what version of Amarok came with 9.0, if one did at all.
9.3 shipped with a 1.2.x version which if I recall, was not very stable on
9.3. I was able to find a 1.4.x package for SuSE 9.3 that included enough of
the required newer KDE stuff as a separate package to allow for 1.4.x to
work. From there I have been able to compile the point releases from the
source tarball, albeit with some slight problems with the Polish docbook
files (I had to manually tweak these files to get rid of the errors they
produced, good thing I grew up with a Polish stepfather :-) ). I assume the
docbook problems don't occur on more modern Linux/KDE systems. But this did
work for me and I'm running 1.4.9.1 successfully on SuSE 9.3. I will look up
where that package repository was and follow up this message with that
information.

Good luck....

-wpl