GSoC Proposal

Swapan swapan at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 28 19:24:03 UTC 2008

> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 09:26:20 -0500
> From: "Ian Monroe" <ian at monroe.nu>
> Subject: Re: GSoC Proposal
> "Abhishek Batra"
> 	<abhshk.btra at gmail.com>
>
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 3:39 AM, Abhishek Batra
> <abhshk.btra at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi guys
> >
> > I have been working on a project on my own. It is
> > a sound processor ( coded in python ).
> >  A version of it has already been demonstrated in
> > Birla Institute of Technology and Sciences' tech
> > fest in 2007. Though it is currently just for
> > win32, I have been working on development for
> > other platforms (scarcity of Macs in India being
> > a big hindrance! ).
> >
> > I came up with the idea that it could be added as
> > an extension to Amarok. The most important
> > feature of my project is that it has the
> > capability of  processing sound on the fly.
> > Hence mixing of various mediums is possible.
> > Also it would be much more useful than most other
> > sound processing software since being available
> > as an extension to Amarok will allow users to
> > organize their mixed and processed sound with
> > their music collection.
> >
> > I have a lot of experience with c++ and python,
> > and am now somewhat familiar with KDE.
> >
> > I want to know if someone could help me out with
> > the final proposal if this sounds good.
> >

> This would be a Phonon proposal, not an Amarok
> proposal. You could try
> kde-multimedia at kde.org
>
> Plus like Mark said, even if it was in Phonon so it
> would take just a dozen lines of code to add it to
> Amarok, it sounds outside the scope of a music
> player.
>
> Ian

On the other hand if you could modify the proposal to
something which I had been thinking would fit with
Amarok. The idea I had was an extension to some of the
work I had done with lyrics display which you can read
about at
http://amarok4kde.blogspot.com/2007/02/hindi-module-for-wiki-lyrics-script.html

Amarok currently can display meta information of
currently playing song such as Title, Artist & Album
at various places such as the context viewer,
screen-saver / fullsceen mode and even in presence
messages. What it cannot do is SAY it aloud at the
beginning or end of the song like the DJ does on a
radio station. Sometimes I would like to hear such
info when Amarok is playing somewhere in the backend
and the music is being streamed to the speakers in
family rooms / kitchen / garden.
For this to happen it would need to be able to do a
text-to-speech conversion of meta-data on the fly and
insert / mix the resulting media into the running
stream.

BR
Swapan