A GSoC Idea

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Thu Mar 27 17:21:13 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 12:10 PM, Daniel Jones <danielcjones at gmail.com> wrote:
> Since everyone's comments seem to confirm my suspicion that this is an
>  interesting idea, I went ahead and wrote a proposal.
>
>  Here first draft is at: http://ac.wwu.edu/~jonesd31/proposal1.html
>
>  Most of it is just me musing on how I might solve it, but I could
>  certainly use some criticism or comments. I'll work on this a bit and
>  submit it later today or tomorrow.
>
>  Thanks!

Just started looking at it the first line turned me off though:
"Currently Amarok supports two types of automatic playlists: smart
playlists, and dynamic playlists." As far as development is concerned,
Amarok currently doesn't support smart or dynamic playlists. So really
I would suggest researching the current state of Amarok 2 before
submitting your proposal. Getting the basic functionality of
mostly-random dynamic playlists won't be trivial.

A mockup of the UI to do your biased playlists would be helpful. It
doesn't have to be fancy, pen and paper work.

Ian