GSoC Draft Proposal

Seb Ruiz ruiz at kde.org
Thu Mar 20 23:06:58 UTC 2008

On 21/03/2008, Ryan Zeigler <zeiglerr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>  I am in the process of writting a proposal to work on the "Media Devices as
>  Collection Providers" project, which I have put online at
>  http://users.dickinson.edu/~zeiglerr/SocProposal.pdf . If anyone could spare
>  some time to read it and provide feedback, I would greatly appreciate it.

Hi Ryan,
An excellent proposal, if I may say so myself. You seem to be one of
the few to understand how important it is to communicate your timeline
and expected unavailabilities from the beginning.

With regards to the actual proposal, obviously access to media devices
are one of the most important features of Amarok. I believe that Jeff
Mitchell has already made some groundwork on solid based access to the
devices, as well as the foundations for the entire media device
subsystems. Perhaps a more noble end pursuit would be the
implementation of media device synchronisation, as this has never been
a feature in Amarok. I'm not sure how much street cred you would get
for a proposal which simply reimplements existing functionality from
Amarok 1.4. Syncing a device is not a trivial objective, and would be
well received by the community.

Regards

--
Seb Ruiz