Hello amarok developers

Thomas Holzmann holzi1 at gmx.at
Wed Mar 19 19:55:13 UTC 2008

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen schrieb:
> Hi Thomas.
>
> That sounds cool, and I would love to mentor such a project. I
> actually got a mail from Mp3Tunes this morning asking if there was any
> interest in this kind of a project. So it is definitely something they
> are interested in as well. The big issue is whether their API for
> these thins is dovumented at all ( which I get the impression that
> they are not ) so there might be a lot of reverse engineering of their
> open source client involved. You should probably get in touch with
> them and ask them what they think. I can get you some contact info for
> some people there.
>
> Mp3Tunes has promised that they will clean up their API and document
> it, but I had an idea for a simmilar project that would circumvent
> this issue, while still making the eventual Mp3Tunes resynchronization
> much simpler to implement. Our integrated Ampache service works with
> an API that is very simmilar to the Mp3Tunes one. Ampache does
> currently not support synching, but at it is a free software project,
> this is something that could be added. The benefit of doing this
> project, would be that the Amarok framework would be prepared for
> synching with other services as well, and as everything is quite well
> abstracted, this would also greatly benefit Mp3Tunes synching when
> they are ready for it. Anyway, that was just an idea if the Mp3Tunes
> thing turns out to be impossible at this time.

Yes, I also think if the API for mp3tunes is not so good atm, it would
be better to support a free solution first, and keep it abstract to add
further similar services later. And I should also be able to implement
this functionality in ampache because I have some experience in php/mysql.
So I will make some research about ampache and contact the mailinglist
again if I have some questions.

> Do let me know what you think, and remember that the deadline for
> proposals are on monday the 24th.

The deadline for proposals is on monday the 24th? I thought there is the
beginning of the application period?

Thomas