Portable database

Sven Jacobs sven.jacobs at web.de
Fri Mar 14 08:06:18 UTC 2008

Dear Amarok developers,

first of all thank you for this great piece of software! I have an idea
which may make Amarok even better:

My music collection is stored on an USB drive, a scenario which is quite
common nowadays. The problem is that I'm using my music collection on
several computers and plug the drive in where it's needed (notebook,
home center PC et cetera). Since Amarok stores the database in the users
home directory there's no central database for my collection. All
settings and statistics from one database are not available in the other
and vice versa. As you can imagine this is quite annoying and the reason
I haven't really using such fine features like song ratings yet.

My suggestion is that Amarok should also be capable of storing the
database in the root folder of the music collection on the portable
media. Let's say the collection is stored in /media/myusbdrive/music
then the database could be placed in /media/myusbdrive/music/.amarok
when in "portable mode". You still have to configure the locations of
your music within Amarok but once it finds a portable database within
one of these locations, it's using it for this directory and all
subdirectories.

This could be a nice project for Google's Summer of Code ;)

What do you think?

--
Kind regards,

Sven Jacobs