coverflow for amarok 2

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Tue Mar 11 21:57:28 UTC 2008

Big O wrote:
> I believe, good sirs, you are thinking about the CD stacks idea too
> literally. Imagine, if you will, the CD stacks with front covers
> showing being displayed at an angle. Also you would have a full view
> of one cover at all times. Moving the mouse in direction 'x' causes
> the CD stack to 'roll' through the deck in that direction, until the
> uppermost or lowermost CD is arrived at.
> And this is but one possibility.
> You folks are limiting your imaginations too much by real world
> concerns, it doesn't need to function 100% like CD stack. It just
> needs to be similar enough that people intuitively are able to
> understand what's going on.
+1

I don't really have an opinion on what eye candy is better, but I agree
with the assertion that it doesn't have to act exactly like something
real-world.  In fact, I'd argue that it probably shouldn't, although it
can take inspiration from the real world.  Software can do wonderful
things the real world cannot:

"Gentlemen, we can build it.  We have the technology.  Better than
before.  Better, faster, stronger."

--Jeff