Amarok and Xine can't play MP3, but VLC and MPlayer can

Adam Porter adam at alphapapa.net
Sat Mar 8 14:25:52 UTC 2008

On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 7:49 AM, Nikolaj Hald Nielsen
<nhnfreespirit at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Ok.  But my question about Amarok remains: will Amarok and/or Phonon
>  >  continue to rely on Xine, or is there hope of using other libs to play
>  >  media?  Xine is hardly the only way to play MP3s or Oggs.
>
>  As it stands right now, we are moving towards only using phonon. Right
>  now, we recommend the xine backend, but if I remember correctly, Qt
>  4.4 also offers a gstreamer backend for linux ( and other backends for
>  Windows / Mac ). That said, it seems that the VLC developers are
>  brewing on a nice VLC phonon backend for all platforms, something
>  which I think would be erally cool as it unifies all the platforms
>  with simmilar features in the backend.
>
>  So for now, phonon with the xine backend is your best bet, but in the
>  future, there will most likely be many more Phonon backends to choose
>  from.

Thanks for the explanation.  :)  It's too bad there isn't some kind of
simple engine that just uses existing libs to play files.  Or maybe I
don't know what I'm talking about.  It just seems strange that Amarok
has to use Xine for everything when there are other ways to play audio
files.