transKode

Christoph Spielmann spielc at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 21:40:34 UTC 2008

Hi!

As I'm working on a script (actually i use it personally quite heavily
but i haven't released my plugin yet because there are still some issues
i want to address before letting it loose...) for Amarok at the moment
(and i plan to port the thing to Amarok2 as soon as the dbus-interface
is fixed and won't change any more), I'm following this discussion with
alot of interest.

I started with a Ruby-Script but as i use threads quite heavily and i
had quite alot of trouble with Ruby and multi-threading i moved away
from Ruby and tried a different approach. As i'm not such a big fan of
Python i started to work on something completely new. I created a really
nice object-oriented library for Amarok using Mono. I called it Monorok
;) At the moment i more or less just included the methods necessary for
my script but well i can always add other methods and functions (if they
sound useful of course ;) ). Using this library i rebuilt my Ruby script
using Monorok (and thus C# and Mono). To start my script i use a wrapper
shell-script that more or less just calls the mono-binary with the name
of my plugin and some other commandline-arguments my script needs to run.

So from what i've read in this discussion you are planning to
concentrate on one language with Amarok2? And drop support for
everything else that was possible with Amarok1.x? It would be quite
interesting to know what the plans are, so i can decide how i'm going to
continue with the development of my plugin. At the moment i'm not using
Amarok2 but it would be cool to have at least a partially working
version of my plugin when Amarok2 is released and as this plugin is
quite a monster (plus i have some plans to add some additional
functionality) i guess i should start to work on it, if you really
decide to turn away from the multi-language scripting and concentrate on
one language...

Greets,

Christoph