[Feedback] Please have FLAC seek fixed

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Mon Jul 7 17:41:32 UTC 2008

tibor at email.virginia.edu wrote:
> Tibor Horvath sent a message using the contact form at
> http://amarok.kde.org/en/contact.
>
> Hi,
>
> Amarok is an awesome player but I'm not going to use it until FLAC seek is
> working. You should either make the xine team fix their engine, or add
> another engine that works out of the box. (The arts engine did not work well
> either.) I'm also not willing to generate seek points in all my FLAC files.
> Thanks!

Tibor,

The arts engine is not supported and not recommended.  The fact that you
were using it makes me think you're running very old software.  What
version of Amarok are you using?  What version of xine?

As for seeking in FLAC, I don't know the details of the format, but if
FLAC requires seek points in the file for seeking and you don't have
them, there's nothing you can really expect anyone to do; you would have
to add them yourself.

--Jeff