extragear/multimedia/amarok/src

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Mon Jul 7 14:22:03 UTC 2008

Mark Kretschmann wrote:
> I've been thinking about this, and I have come up with a simple solution:
>
> We could have an additional entry in the main menu, saying "Stop
> After..". Clicking it, you'd get a dialog, which let's you choose
> between two options:
>
> * After current track (default)
> * In XX minutes
>
> This would provide even more functionality than the original feature,
> e.g. you could also use it as a timer for going to sleep. But it would
> also be less obtrusive.

That could work.

I'm going to present a technical reason for why we *need* a way to stop
(as opposed to simply Pause) -- dmix/jack/whatever doesn't work for
everyone or on all sounds cards, and sometimes you need to have whatever
is using the sound device release it.  Much better to allow someone to
stop the playback rather than have to close Amarok, then reopen it soon
after.

I've run into this issue already, where Amarok (probably actually
Phonon) has been locking my sound device if I didn't realize I had an
active login to a KDE4 session/amarok running on a different $DISPLAY
(and dmix should be working for me, too)...in fact, I was hitting that
issue when trying to use Amarok 1.4.  :-(  Granted in my case I forgot
A2 was running, but I can definitely see situations where someone in a
KDE4 session running A2 and having it Paused could interfere with other
apps trying to use the sound card.

--Jeff