amarok fails to start remotely over X11

furt at gmx.de furt at gmx.de
Sun Jul 6 19:47:27 UTC 2008

Hi Alan,

On Tuesday 01 July 2008 18:10:34 Alan Ezust wrote:
> I am trying to start up Amarok on a remote host with a local X11 Display.
> They're connected on a high speed ethernet.
>
> I tried with 2 different machines, one using cygwin/X11 and the other
> was using Debian/KDE.
> In both cases, Amarok splash screen would show, then I'd get this message:
> Amarok: [Loader] Amarok is taking a long time to load! Perhaps
> something has gone wrong?
>
> Then I'd have to hit ctrl-C to get rid of the splash screen.
>
> Using amarok in this way worked fine a month ago (debian lenny), and
> seemed to stop working after a recent upgrade.
> Has anyone else experienced this?

I have not experienced this, for me it works perfectly. I had to set some
variables, though. I am using the following command to start amarok directly.
Of course, you have to replace user at host with the correct values:

ssh -Y user at host KDEDIRS=/usr:/usr/local:/usr/kde/3.5 KDEDIR=/usr/kde/3.5
LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8" PATH=$PATH:/usr/kde/3.5/bin  amarok

(the above command is one single line). I am using gentoo linux on both
machines and amarok-1.4.8.

Yours,

Marius