Sync Amarok

Alan Ezust alan.ezust at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 23:58:09 UTC 2008

I wanted a way of making my ratings persistent in Amarok, so that I
could re-import them on another machine and see the same ratings. I
decided to write them to id3v2 tags in MusicMatch Jukebox. I have a
separate tool that does the tagging and importing into a mysql
database, so I had round-trip data import/export.

http://oop.mcs.suffolk.edu/docs/src/mmjbamarok/mmjbamarok.html

Unfortunately, I noticed recently, that when I use Amarok to tag
things, it seems to clobber the extended tag info that was written by
MMJB, so that future times I want to import the mp3 file into
musicmatch, I have to re-enter artist/track#/title/genre again. Very
annoying. So round-trip syncing is not working for me anymore,  due to
some weird taglib bugs. I will have to investigate further when I have
time.

It is annoying that there is no option to let amarok store the rating
persistently as an extended tag. Maybe some people don't want it, but
I sure do.