[Feedback] Found you guys on StumbleUpon, want to help!

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen nhnfreespirit at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 09:04:47 UTC 2008

Hi Andrew

I had a quick look at Grooveshark, and the concept looks really
interesting. I dont know how familiar you are with Amarok2, our
development version, but one of the things that we are building, is a
framework for adding "services" ( what ever that may be ) into Amarok
in a seamless way. ( my blog
http://amarok.kde.org/blog/categories/18-freespirit has quite a few
posts with lost of screenshots about that ). The main goal is to make
content that exists on the web behave almost as if it was part of your
local collection. Currently we are working with among others, Jamendo
and Magnatune ( who I do freelance work for )

Even though I have not looked in depth at your service / software yet,
I think it should be very possible to integrate at least some of your
functionality as a service. The thing is ( and I say this to most
people that approach us this way, after which I never hear from most
of them again... ) is that currently we do not have the resources to
do the work required. If you are really interested, there are several
options for you. You could have some of your people look into it or
you could hire a developer ( there are Amarok devs up for grabs... ).
I will be happy to provide support and help out ( I built the
framework, which is still evolving ) but I do not have the time to
spearhead the effort.

Also, worth noting about Amarok2 is that it will run on both *nix, Mac
and Windows, meaning that it can potentially reach a huge audience.

I will be happy to answer any questions you might have about what is
possible, and I am sure the other devs will chime in if they have
input or objections :-)

Best regards

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen