"dual booting" Amarok 2.0 (Windows / Linux)

Holger myth at finch.de
Fri Jan 11 15:13:21 UTC 2008

Hello everybody,

I really like Amarok, but I'm just starting to use Linux and will
continue to dual-boot Linux and Windows for quite a while...
That's why I'm increasingly looking for "cross platform" software and
that's why I'm really looking forward to Amarok 2.0.

I expect many people will use it on dual boot systems and it would be
really really great if I could use the same database on both systems!
As far as I know, this is not currently possible... (due to absolute
paths in the database)
Could somebody please please make it possible? I guess some restrictions
would apply (like using MySQL... maybe a single "library root"), but I
can imagine several viable solutions that would not be completely
generic, but relatively easy to implement...

I really wouldn't like to maintain two databases. And even if I do, the
"recently played", "play count", ratings, favorites etc. would be
completely messed up...
Being able to use one consistent database on both systems would be a
really strong motivation to use Amarok.

I already use shared data/configuration for at least half a dozen other
programs and it usually works fine :-)

What does everybody else think?

Holger (Finch)

P.S.: Also posted at