Difficulty transferring video to new iPod Classic

Henry henry.robinson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 16:51:04 UTC 2008

Hi all -

I'm having some difficulties with my new iPod classic 160Gb and Amarok 1.4.8.
I'm running Fedora 8, and have upgraded to the bleeding edge packages for
amarok and libgpod as below. I'm running into problems copying video. Every
time I add an m4v to the transfer queue, Amarok tells me that "one or more
media files are already on the device" and no transfer takes place. Syncing
music works fine.

[root at oscar henry]# yum list installed amarok gtkpod libgpod
Installed Packages
amarok.i386                              1.4.8-1.fc8
installed
gtkpod.i386                              0.99.12-1.fc8
installed
libgpod.i386                             0.6.0-3.fc8
installed

I can use GTKPod to transfer video successfully, but doing so causes GTKPod
to trash the Artwork directory on the iPod, complaining that the directory
is "too large to be used as a buffer file" and caps every file at 256Mb,
necessitating a rather tedious re-sync of Artwork from Amarok (which doesn't
detect that the art is broken until the directory is forcefully deleted).

It would also be good to do all the management in one application, which is
why I'd like to find an Amarok-based solution. Any ideas?

Oh, and while I'm here, how do I arrange for podcasts to be automatically
copied to the iPod? I can get them as far as automatically added to the
transfer queue, but I'd really like to leave my iPod synced overnight and
pick it up the next morning with all my podcasts updated.

Many thanks, and happy new year,

Henry