A whole load of random patches

N.C. Wilson ncw33 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Jan 1 20:40:18 UTC 2008

Hello everyone. I have just been trying out amarok 2 over the last few
days, and it is great! I did however do a bit of poking around and tried a
few new ideas (patch attached).

Changes:

1. The "Group by" box in the collection browser did not remember settings
when exiting.

2. I did a bit of general fiddling with the collection view. You can now
get rid of the annoying track numbers and sort by any combination of
fields.

3. I noticed as I was doing this that the config dialogues are a little
scrappy (inconsistent caps, indentation, etc) so I did a bit of neatening
while I was there (also ported a few old Qt3 classes just for neatness).

4. Fixed some odds and ends in the config boxes (greying out boxes at the
right time etc.) Also fixed a bug with the code for opening the config box
to a specified page.

5. Added some little features for altering the sort order. Old order would
have been eg.:
 - Symphony 1
 - Symphony 10
 - Symphony 2
Now the three are shown correctly in order.

6. I also made a customisable thing for ignoring prefixes on entries. (I
find this very neat - give it a whirl and you'll see what I mean! Putting
QRegExp support into everything is dead easy too if it would be useful.)
This is primarily useful for French or German names, where you want "von
Richthofen" to appear under R, but still display as "von Richthofen", not
"Richthofen, von" or something stupid like that.

7. Probably a few other little one-liners.

I noticed that in the code there was a commented out line saying that
showing "Artist / Year - Album" was far harder than "Artist / Year /
Album". The only way I could think of fixing this would be to get rid of
the idea of Meta::Album and Meta::AlbumPtr items, and instead have some
sort of a Meta::Field and Meta::FieldPtr class which can hold a custom
field, constucted with a regex from the tag fields in Collection Manager.
This seems quite a large change, so I assume it is not something people
want done? Being able to completely control the presentation would be nice,
but probably not worth it (laying out your collection by customised fields
with regexes would be very cool though, especially for people like me with
hundreds of GBs of music).

Also, am I right in guessing that the huge blank holes in places like the
Meta::Capability stuff are just because they have not been implemented yet?
It would be nice to get the tagger and organiser back running.

Anyway, I am very pleased to see how nice the new version is looking. Well
done to all! I would love to help as much as possible, but term starts next
week to I suspect I will not have any time.

Nicholas