Qt-only version for GNOME users

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Tue Feb 26 19:30:34 UTC 2008

Piotr Zaryk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to ask if there will be Amarok 2.0 version depending ONLY
> on Qt4.4 for GNOME users? I know that there are many users that use
> Amarok on GNOME. There are still no good music players for gnome
> similar to amarok. I suggest you to create such version.

Amarok is already an excellent music player for GNOME users.  The fact
that it has dependencies on various other libraries not blessed by GNOME
isn't really a big deal.  I still use Firefox even though I'm a KDE
user.  Right tool for the right job, etc.

> The fact that the application runs with qt does not mean that it
> should be run on KDE-only. Look at Opera 9.5. Open/save dialogs are
> integrated with gnome/xfce when such envirioment is detected.

Amarok makes heavy use of great KDE libraries like Solid, Plasma, and
Phonon, which are also going cross-platform.  In short, it will not be
Qt-only anytime soon.  (The idea was actually mooted a while back and we
eventually rejected it.)

--Jeff