Question about AFT and duplicate entries

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Tue Feb 26 11:56:47 UTC 2008

On Monday 25 February 2008, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> > You can't.  Buyer beware.  The point of AFT isn't to make sure that
> > every file that is the exact same song always updates stats -- it's to
> > make sure that stats aren't lost totally.  It's up to you to make sure
> > you don't have duplicate files all over your collection (which are
> > generally annoying anyways and people generally want to get rid of
> > them).  Or that you always play the same one.
> >
> > If anything, people generally want to use AFT to find duplicates to
> > avoid this situation, because it's so annoying  :-)
>
> Ahh indeed. OK I think I was seeing AFT as being a little more far
> reaching than I initially envisaged. I see what you mean here.

I'm not against AFT branching out and doing more...there are some architecture
issues that rather prevent this in 1.4.  In 2.0 the way things are currently
planned this should be less of a problem.  But it'll be a good time for me to
re-evaluate how AFT should be structured so maybe I'll hit you up at that
time for some input.

--Jeff