Question about AFT and duplicate entries

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Mon Feb 25 12:27:51 UTC 2008

On Sunday 24 February 2008, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> > Ian Monroe wrote:
> >> The purpose of AFT is identifying moved files and keeping statistics.
> >> It's not for removing duplicates as far as I know, at least this is a
> >> feature that is not implemented.
> >
> > Ian is correct, AFT is not used anywhere within Amarok to filter out
> > duplicate entries.  Maybe someday it will be, but right now the
> > collection browser shows you everything the collection scanner has
> > scanned.
>
> Cool. That's fair enough :)
>
> I presume this is the same in Amarok2? IMO making this work could be a
> nice SoC project for someone? I doubt it would be super hard to do... If
> I had some time I'd knock something up myself but time is one thing I
> don't have right now.... :(

It could be, sure.  AFT as a whole would need to be ported; right now it's
tied heavily into the (unused, going to be deleted) CollectionDB.  But it
should be possible...the algorithm should stay the same.

There are other concerns with 2.0 though, such as generation of UIDs.  Things
like Strigi (and other Xesam compatible scanners?) generate MD5 sums as they
scan, which saves us from a bit of work, and means we can query Strigi/Xesam
for new locations for that MD5 sum.  But that relies on people having their
music collection scanned, which they may not want to do outside Amarok.  In
that case, do we switch to full MD5s of the files for compatibility? (Much
slower).

Etc.  :-)