[Fwd: Re: Amarok configurations]

Sam Fielder srf10130 at vtc.vsc.edu
Mon Feb 25 03:46:46 UTC 2008

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Amarok configurations
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 22:44:36 -0500
From: Sam Fielder <srf10130 at vtc.vsc.edu>
To: Tom R <tomrood1 at yahoo.com>

Tom R wrote:
> You posted a message on the kubuntu users list
> concerning using Amarok with different configurations.
>  On my system (currently openSUSE 10.2 with amarok
> 1.4.7), it does seem to be possible to do what you
> want to do by switching the database that amarok is
> using (e.g., using sqlite for one of the databases and
> postgres for the other).  The disadvantage is that you
> have to close and then reopen amarok each time you
> switch databases.
>
> The other way to do it would be to move the folder
> /home/(your user)/.kde/share/apps/amarok someplace
> else.  You would then create a pointer named amarok in
> /home/(your user)/.kde/share/apps to the new location.
>  You could create as many amarok folders in as many
> locations as you like.  Each time before opening
> amarok, you would just switch in the appropriate
> pointer to get the amarok configuration you want at
> the moment.
>
> I would have addressed this to the list but I don't
> know how to respond to an archived message thread.

> Be a better friend, newshound, and

thanks that is what I was wondering, but no one spoke up. so copying the
config folder to a different location is the way to do it.  can you use
the --config option to call amarok with the alternate location? The
manpage is cryptic at best, and i haven't come across any documentation
that tells what config to use. the other problem i had was that the
amarokrc file in ~.kde/share/config doesn't have a listing for the name
of the database, only the username and password and i couldn't figure
out how to start with an alternate db.

but...

I found another workaround that works for me in the meantime. I
formatted the sd card and told amarok it was an ipod. amarok loaded an
itunes database and now i can just play the transfered media from the
"ipod" and the main database stays put, which in reality is much easier
than what i was trying to do, so i will probably use it the way it is
setup now.

I do appreciate the response though. I like knowing how to make things
work even if I won't be using them myself. Who knows when someone else
might want to try something similar and I can help out, or just do a
google search and find what they need to keep rolling. That is why linux
is so cool!

Sam