iTunes like Album selector

Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen admin at leinir.dk
Thu Feb 21 17:06:22 UTC 2008

Thursday 21 February 2008 skrev Martin Graesslin:
> Hi,
>
> I implemented an alternative Alt+Tab window switcher for KWin's Desktop
> Effects (svn commit 777745) which is inspired by iTunes Album selector.
>
> I think it should be possible to "port" it to a plamaoid. So if you want to
> have such an iTunes like album selector, I would start to extract the
> functionality into an own class and write a plasmaoid which uses it. The
> effect is implemented in OpenGL, so that should not be any problem.
>
> If you want to take a look at the effect, I recorded a video, you can find
> it here: http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=dv1Nu4425g8
> (if you have problems with flash or want to see a better resolution, just
> mail me and I will provide the uncompressed video)
>
> Best regards
> Martin Gräßlin

  We've discussed the possibility of doing this, and while coverflow is all
pretty and stuff, we do not really see the merits of it as a method of track
selection... and we really do not like eyecandy with no reason ;) So... In
stead, this is what i came up with:
http://leinir.dk/temp/gallery/mockups.php?image=mockups/cd-stack-in-glorious-pen-o-vision.jpg
  Further reasoning behind this is that we have a very large amount of
vertical space, and much less horizontal space, so we need the items to be on
top of eachother rather than side-by-side like in the normal coverflow. If
you feel up to implementing this, i know a team of amarokers who would really
love to see it happen :)

  Also, i must say, your coverflow kwin composite effect looks really neat :)
Does it have the keyboard filtering that the expose-like effect does?

--
..Dan // Leinir..
http://www.leinir.dk/

                          Co-