podcasts in Amarok 2.0 ?

David Perdue dave at minusvince.com
Sat Feb 2 19:14:24 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 19:51 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 2, 2008 at 5:06 PM, Nikolaj Hald Nielsen
> <nhnfreespirit at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I agree that a podcast directory would be a really nice thing to have,
> >  therefore: http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/574-Podcast-directory-service.html
> >  :-D
> >
> >  - Nikolaj
> >

> >  On Feb 2, 2008 4:38 PM, Alvin <alvinbeach at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  > On Saturday 02 February 2008 11:03:06 Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> >  > > Having a default selection of podcasts that are Linux-based will be a
> >  > > turnoff to Windows and Mac users, who could very well end up numbering
> >  > > far more than our Linux base.  I suggest more neutral ones.  How about
> >  > > Car Talk for instance?
> >  >
> >  > That's a good idea. What I was thinking/hoping that this feature would be a
> >  > directory of various podcasts of various topics. This sounds like it will be
> >  > more of a podcasts directory. Sort of how when you expand the Shoutcasts
> >  > streams you get a listing of categories with subcategories, etc. Is there
> >  > such a site that is "Shoutcast-like" but provides a directory of podcasts
> >  > rather than audio streams? If so, this would lift the burden off Amarok and
> >  > the Amarok developers/community to manage a podcast directory.
> >  >
> >  > Just throwing this out there, but would it make sense to have a Amarok
> >  > community driven/managed list of podcasts? Some place where the Amarok
> >  > community can recommend/add a podcast RSS URL. Then Amarok could simply be a
> >  > frontend to this list much in the same way it lists the Shoutcast streams?
> >  >
> >  > Alvin
>
> Great! You are my favorite amarok devel for this month :)
>
> Valent.

Nice addition!  Now can we have an RSS feed that provides different
breakfast recipes each day and a script that will make the recipe of the
day?  And do the dishes?

As far as the default subscribed list I'm against it.  With some other
programs that have that I usually just delete them.  Maybe having some
suggested podcasts in the directory would be good, but not feeds that
are subscribed by default.  It's not really a big deal to delete the
feed if you don't like it, though.
--
Dave Perdue
dave at minusvince.com