Amarok 2.0 released Can I install over top of amarok 1.4?

Beso givemesugarr at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 19:01:22 UTC 2008

2008/12/14 Jeff Mitchell <kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com>:
> Beso wrote:
>> 2008/12/12 Robert Smits <bob at rsmits.ca>:
>>> On December 11, 2008 12:09:20 pm Robert Smits wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks to those of you who replied to my earlier message, telling me I could
>>> install Amarok 2 in a KDE 3 environment.
>>>
>> yes. you just need kdelibs4, kdepimlibs4, phonon, xine-lib and mysql
>> compiled with -fPIC.
>> the latest is a must and usually it's not compiled that way so you'd
>> probably have to
>> recompile mysql.
>
> No, that's not true.  Distributions that carry Amarok 2 are generally
> compiling mysql with -fPIC now.

so distro that don't carry it don't do it. this applies for any distribution out
there with amarok version previous than alpha 1. (there are a lot of them).

>>> Next question is can I just install it over top my existing KDE3 Amarok 1.4 or
>>> do I need to treat it as a completely new install, set up mysql, etc.
>>>
>> i'd advise you to do so, since kdelibs and the other kde4 packages
>> would overwrite the old
>> 3.5 files.
>
> Also not necessarily true.  A lot of distributions compile their
> packages with KDE3 and KDE4 in different prefixes, and use ~/.kde for
> KDE3 and ~/.kde4 for KDE4.
>
> With this system, they can run side-by-side perfectly.
>
> Even if your distribution doesn't do that, it is possible to install
> KDE4 entirely into a separate user account with its own environment, and
> then simply run applications from there (you can even be logged into
> KDE3 when doing so).

most distros do the split: kde4 or kde3.5 at install time. then the advanced
user has to manually install and update the other version.

>> this way you
>> should be able to have
>> both amarok 1.5 and 2.0 installed and could switch from one to the
>
> There is no Amarok 1.5.

misnumbered. i don't use the old 1.x serie since the new one has gone
alpha 1 so i didn't remembered the precise 1.x version.

--
dott. ing. beso