Amarok 2.0 released Can I install over top of amarok 1.4?

Beso givemesugarr at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 20:51:54 UTC 2008

2008/12/12 Robert Smits <bob at rsmits.ca>:
> On December 11, 2008 12:09:20 pm Robert Smits wrote:
>
> Thanks to those of you who replied to my earlier message, telling me I could
> install Amarok 2 in a KDE 3 environment.

yes. you just need kdelibs4, kdepimlibs4, phonon, xine-lib and mysql
compiled with -fPIC.
the latest is a must and usually it's not compiled that way so you'd
probably have to
recompile mysql. apart from these packages you need their dependencies, like
clucene, cmake, xmlrpc-c and some others package. see the deps on the
official site.
you should also compile the systemsettings package from kde4 to be
able to configure phonon.
you can have both gstreamer and xine-lib installed at the same time
but phonon will chose the
first one in the list.

> Next question is can I just install it over top my existing KDE3 Amarok 1.4 or
> do I need to treat it as a completely new install, set up mysql, etc.

i'd advise you to do so, since kdelibs and the other kde4 packages
would overwrite the old
3.5 files. so when compiling kdelibs and other kde4 packages use a
different prefix for it,
like /usr/kde/kde4 for example. of course amarok should be able to
find these files so you'd
probably have either to add this path to your PATH variable or to use
the same prefix for
amarok 2 (i'd advice you to use the second method). this way you
should be able to have
both amarok 1.5 and 2.0 installed and could switch from one to the
other. of course if you
want to overwrite the older release you should remove it manually and
install the new one
with the normal /usr prefix, but you should ascertain that it can find
the needed dependencies.

--
dott. ing. beso