Interesting UI Mockups: possible ideas for Amarok 2.1.x

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen nhnfreespirit at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 19:00:04 UTC 2008

I think there are good ideas in the mockups, but there is one big
problem that I immediately notice when I look at them. The reason (I
think) that these mockups look nice, is that the toolbar is
partitioned in the same 3 areas as the rest of the application which
makes the "3 part" feel apply to the entire app.

Now, realize that each part of amarok (browsers, context view and
playlist) can be resized individually. Resizing the parts of the
toolbar accordingly will not work well IMO, as that would make some
critical elements too small (or even disappear altogether "hey, where
did the play controls go?") and having them fixed while the content
areas are resized will just make make it look bad as the items go "out
of sync"

So overall, I think the toolbar needs to be rethought for this to
work. Also, and this is purely personal, I _Really prefer to have the
toolbar on top. that places it opposite the play controls available in
the system tray icon, which means that overall I need to use the mouse
less to find somewhere I can control Amarok from.

- Nikolaj