Proposal: Last.fm UI Changes

Casey Link unnamedrambler at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 13:01:16 UTC 2008

Hey Guys,

I was going to wait until 2.0 was officially released to send this
out, but since Trever has expressed interest in improving the lastfm
service I thought I'd shoot it over to him.

This is a proposal for some major lastfm ui refactoring:
http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Proposals/Last_FM_UI_Redesign:2.0
Also I've attached a gimped mockup of the proposal.

In short here are the changes I want to make:

* Remove the Love/Ban/Skip buttons
    They already exist in the tool bar, and are pretty useless in that window.
* Move the "Play Artist Radio" field to the top, above the tree.
    The field is at the bottom of the panel, far out of reach of the cursor
    and the eye. Ever since we moved the toolbar to the top of the ui,
    we have been more top centric. This will also increase the visual
similarity  of
    the last.fm service with all our other services: there is usually
a query/filter field
    in that position.
* Make the "Play Artist Radio" field also support arbitrary tags and users
    This is a major last.fm feature we're missing out on.
* Re-organize the tree (see mockup)
    My proposed version provides cohesiveness between all the
different elements.
    For every user mentioned in the tree, it is possible to play their
3 stations that
    exist.

I didn't mention the "Global Tags" parent item, but I think it can stay.

Thoughts, comments? Make sure and use "Reply All" when replying to this email.

Casey