Abstract idea of Song instead of pure file management

Cody Christensen codyregister at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 04:18:17 UTC 2008

I'm sorry to jump in on a thread that appears almost dead and I won't claim to
comprehend every one of the posts as some of them are complex and detailed
but...
	I would like to bring up my idea that I discussed briefly on this list
earlier this year.  That is the idea of a spell checker type interface.  I
believe that Amarok 2 will ship with a helper program used for the advanced
AFT (sorry don't remember exactly what it is called) What if the feature was
implemented so that only the dead sure entries were automatically associated
and any other "Advanced" association was handled through an extention to the
helper program that already exists.
	Basically the way I'm thinking is that the exact match tag function will
automatically associate them and then if a user wants to fire up the helper
program they can fuzzy search tags and/or audio match them (if ever
implemented). The results will be displayed in a spell checker or "same named
file dialog(like konqueror or dolphin)" type fashion.  This will allow the
user to see the similarities and differences and listen to the two tracks to
compare them him/herself.
	To combat the "same song different album" issue they could choose from a list
of buttons on the side that could say

Share Stats don't hide other similar file (for the different album problem)
Mark for mobile device <drop down box to select a device>
etc.

I'm just throwing this idea out for consideration/ modification/ polish etc.
I think this idea/ direction could provide some great interface potential or
just ideas for a better interface.  Advanced users who want to associate
songs would probably appreciate something like this. I hope that it fits with
the topic that was discussed enough. For another thought it could potentially
have a manual association feature where you just select two files from a file
browser for like the PDF and other files mentioned by Jud earlier.

--

							-Cody Christensen